“When I discovered YouTube, I didn’t work for 5 days.”
-Michael Scott, The Office
I love online video. I watch news and movie trailers in the morning, viral videos during the day and my favorite TV shows at night. Sometimes when hanging out with friends, I’ll casually refer to a video I emailed them only to be greeted by a blank stare and a sigh, “Marie, I’m not lucky like you, I don’t work in online video and can’t sit at my desk and watch the videos you email me every day. As much as I want to.” So, to all my friends and anyone else who has this dreadful problem, here is my foolproof plan for watching online video at work.
1. Use online video as a tool to see what’s going on in your company. - This is great way to stay informed, especially if you work for a large corporation like Ebay where you might not always know what’s going on outside your division.
2. Pitching a new client? Show an online video or two that gives them an idea of how you’re going to sell their brand. - Online video is exploding on the web right now, and you’re likely to find a very relevant video. Ex: “We want to do something revolutionary along the lines of this thought-provoking Dove commercial.”
3. Manage the boss relationship. - Let’s say you work for a die-hard Dallas Cowboys fan. Come Monday morning, grab coffee with your boss, “Did you see Tony Romo’s play?” and then change the subject to that project you’re dying to be on.
4. Looking for a way to blow off steam and get to know your colleagues? Organize a Friday online video lunch - Order some pizza, check out Top Videos, talk weekend plans, have fun.
5. Use online video for work and you won’t get suspicious looks when you’re enjoying it during your own downtime. - And finally, no porn. Keep it light. Watch porn at home (unless you want to be like this guy).
I love movies about the entertainment industry. I watched a lot of “movies about movies” during college to get a feel for what a career in film would really be like. I then spent 3 years on the entertainment side working at Creative Artists Agency in LA, before getting excited about the future of online video and joining CastTV. Here are my top 5 movies about movies. Grab some popcorn and enjoy. Believe me, this stuff really happens…
1. Sunset Blvd - A classic. “I am big. It’s the pictures that got small.”
Don’t get me wrong, YouTube is awesome. But here are 5 sites you may not know about with slick players and more cool features. Try them out, and let me know what you think!
1. Vimeo - “Share your videos in glorious High Definition.”
2. Veoh - Upload your video to a social network like The Surfing Group: “Calling all surfers… Add your own surf videos or favorites. It can be hard to find the gems of surf footage from around the web, this group can make it a little easier. Do your part, ADD VIDEOS.”
3. blip.tv - Looking to make some money off your video? “You deserve to make money from your hard work. That’s why blip.tv works with as many video ad networks as possible to make you money. If you have a hit show we’ll use our own sales force to sell a sponsorship. We share everything we make for you 50/50. And if you have your own sales force you can sell a sponsorship — and we’ll traffic it for you.”
4. Dailymotion - Want to keep a video private? “When you upload a video to Dailymotion, you can set it to private or public status. If you set your video to private status, other members will not be able to see it unless they are in one of your private contact lists (“friends”, “family”, etc).”
5. Google Video - Google: “You can upload as many videos to Google Video as you like, without any size or length limitations.” YouTube: “Your videos can be up to 1GB in size and 10 minutes long.”
“A stoner film is a subgenre of films that center around an explicit use of the drug cannabis. Typically, such movies show cannabis use in a comic and positive fashion. Cannabis use is one of the main themes, and inspires most of the plot.”
Here are the top 5 stoner film moments for your smoking and viewing pleasure.
1. The Big Lebowski
Biking around San Francisco is one of the coolest parts about living in this amazing city. It’s the best way to get around because the city is only 7 x 7 miles, so you can pretty much get anywhere by bike. I have friends who will tell you that buying a bike has changed their life.
If you’re a seasoned cyclist or thinking about buying that first bike, here are 5 videos to inspire, make you think and make you laugh.
1. Lance Armstrong Nike Commercial
Gentle Online Video Viewer,
As much as we consider ourselves upstanding citizens, most of us do drop an F*Bomb here and there. Lucky for us, it wasn’t captured on video. Unluckily for these folks, it was.
Here are the top 5 online video F*Bombs for your viewing pleasure.
1. Bill O’Reilly Bomb
Entertainment Weekly described this year’s presidential election as “The Most Entertaining Race Ever.” Here at CastTV, we could not agree more! These are some of the videos that have kept our office laughing this fall.
1. Tina Fey’s dead on impression of Sarah Palin on Saturday Night Live.